Tutorials

Friday, November 2, 2018

Amanda Jean's Workshop


At the end of June, Amanda Jean Nyberg came to my Mom's (that's her behind the quilt) quilt guild-Muscatine Melon Patchers- for a trunk show and workshop. I didn't want to miss it! I've been following her blog- Crazy Mom Quilts for a long time and was actually one of the first blogs I followed. This was about the only picture I got of the weekend. 


For the workshop we were to choose a project from her latest book 'No Scrap Left Behind'. I needed a new project like a hole in the head, (so many other projects need finished!) but I dived in anyways. I ended up choosing the 'June' pattern using up my blue and green scraps, and adding a few orange and yellow bits here and there to make it pop. 'Less is more' Amanda said. Her pattern uses strips, but I ended up doing more piecing to make my blocks since a lot of my scraps were smaller.  And I actually got the top finished a few weeks ago!! I took Amanda's suggestion to use black and white prints for the cornerstone blocks. I would have never thought of that, but I really like it! I had some black and whites on hand anyways that I never use, so it was a perfect fit. It's waiting to get quilted for now.  This picture was before I sewed the blocks all together. I will have to come up with some fun ideas for those big white blocks.

Anyways, it was so fun to meet Amanda in person, she was so nice! She took the time to talk with each person at the workshop about their project. And then we took her shopping at the LQS. She bought red fabric with white polka dots :) It was a great time!  And, I think I have more blue and green scraps now then when I started this quilt! Funny how that happens. Ladies were to bring scraps to share, and I brought home more than I brought.  They were prettier than mine! lol. And I was one of the last ones to leave the workshop and that scrap table was still full. What can I say, I'm a scrap quilter with no plans to stop soon :)

No comments: