Tutorials

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Happy Christmas


In 2020 I donated a small quilt for our kids school auction fundraiser. It went over well, and I thought I should step it up with a bigger quilt, and start it right away so that I had plenty of time to complete it. I had seen this 'Happy Christmas' pattern in my IG, and thought it would be perfect. The auction is held in November, so a Christmas themed quilt would be great timing. I liked how this quilt was very visually striking, scrappy, and used mostly large pieces (4.5 inch squares) and would go together fairly quickly. 


I liked the pattern so much that I went ahead and cut out enough to make one for myself as well.


So, off I went sewing and laying it all out. I wanted it to be super warm and cozy and used a red minky for the back. As I quilted it, the red fuzz was pulled up through the top. In the light background, it was fairly noticeable. And now the auction is in about 3 weeks. Argh! So, I ended up deciding to keep the red fuzz one for myself, and sew up quick the other one I had already cut out for the auction. 





This time using red flannel for the back.




So, bonus, I already have my version to cozy up with completed. It would still be in pieces in a tub for who knows how long otherwise!


And the quilt did well on the auction, bringing $500. I was pretty pleased with that. 


Another bonus is that I realized after I got the pattern that this is one that you have to lay it all out before starting to sew it together. I needed a design wall! I cleared up an area, sewed two flannel backed tablecloths together and hung it up with some pushpins. I think the total cost was about $12. And lemme tell ya- I LOVE it! Before, I was using the floor, and kids would constantly mess it up if I didn't stitch it up right away. 

This pattern was really fun to make. Twice! 
AND, *spoiler alert* I already have the quilt top made for next years auction!

 

No comments: