Tutorials

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A tree for Baby's room

I haven't blogged much lately.  Not because I don't have anything to post about (I have a lot actually), I just have been too busy to take the time to make a post! 

One major thing that has kept me busy is getting the baby's room ready.  Once we got the room painted, I decided to paint a tree.  I did a Google image search for "baby room tree" and found tons of inspiration! 


For the owl's eyes I traced a circle on some painter's tape and then used a 3/4 inch circle punch to remove the darker part of his eyes. 


And here is the finished tree complete with foliage and an owl.   The tree was vaguely penciled out, but mostly free-handed.  Not much different than free-motion quilting really.  I did draw out the owl though. 

(wow the color is really washed out in this pic!)

You can buy fancy decals that just stick onto the wall that are probably a lot quicker to do, but I just bought a tiny can of brown paint and some sponge brushes and spent less than $10 total.  The paint for the leaves we already had.  Oh yeah!  The crib will go under the owl like in the pic above. 

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!  My kiddo better like it too because it's staying up until he's 18-like it or not!  :)