Tutorials

Friday, April 26, 2013

Pipe Dream Quilt: organized chaos

 
TAA DAAA! 
I have been working on this quilt top since early this winter.  And I finally finished it this week!  It is essentially the same as this quilt I made a while back from Red Pepper Quilts Pieced Scrap Border tutorial.  Except different...

 
I made separate warm and cool colored blocks and instead of a plain block in between I had to make more work for myself and made it so that each warm and cool colored blocks "connected".  And where they intersected I put a white square. 
 
 
I don't know if my design ended up being all that apparent in the end.  It kinda looks like organized chaos!  But I will say that I used up a LOT of little scraps!  Each little square is 1".  It measures 80x93.  I call it "Pipe Dream" because it reminds me of an old computer game we used to play.  And since it had hot and cold "pipes" it seemed fitting. 
 
 
Here's my down loadable pattern!  lol.  This is my little design sketch that I thought I would share.  See how detailed I am at planning this thing?  Those numbers are the size you would cut from your background fabric. 
 
I am linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it Up Friday.  Now that I have this project wrapped up, I really want to start a new one.  But I am forcing myself to finish up a few other projects before I start anything new.  And to me, if the top is together, it's Done!  Cross it off the list!  :)  (it may be a few months before I get it quilted and bound)
 
 
 

10 comments:

Pieces of Cotton said...

Wow! I'm not sure I could have gotten all that piecing done in that amount of time. One inch! That is an awfully big quilt to have so many pieces that tiny! What a job - but it looks great. And I can see the warm / cool contrast. It looks great - congratulations!

Karen said...

And you did that with a baby?!

Sara said...

fantastic quilt and I like the color variations!!

nicole said...

Wow! This is incredible! It looks amazing :)

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

HOLY SMOKES! That is one serious quilt top!!

Renee said...

Wow that is a LOT of tiny squares on a nice big quilt! I definitely see the pattern! How are you planning to quilt it?

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Wow! How beautiful!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Ohmigosh! This is FANTASTIC! Great job!

Elli Om said...

OMG!
it's something...! Nonreal!

Cute!

Sarah said...

I love this! Especially the gray with all the fun, bright colors! I can picture a little Grahm driving tiny cars on all those paths!