Tutorials

Monday, May 22, 2017

Staci's Tshirt quilt



Early spring means t-shirt quilt time! I get a handful (or two!) of t-shirt quilts made for high school graduates. This one was the first of several this spring.


I think they are fun to quilt! This one is for a guy, so I filled in with paisley swirls with a few random surprises thrown in. I custom stitch around or through the printing in each block.



Thanks Staci!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Joan's Tree skirt


Joan made this beautiful tree skirt.  This was my first time quilting  a tree skirt or anything circular. I did a bit of internet research on the best way to get it on my rollers. Didn't find much of anything with great detail, but got the idea that you baste it down with your longarm all around the edge first, including the slit. I made sure that the circumference was the same all the way around and smoothed it out as best I could and went for it.


Once the edges were basted down I quilted lots of curls, holly leaves, and snowflakes in white Glide thread. It has a bit of shimmer to it which went perfect with this project as the fabrics had a bit of glitter and shimmer to them.


the back.


I will say that once I got towards the bottom of the circle, I had a tiny bit of puckering on the top, but I just let out a small section of the basting and solved that problem. 

All in all, it wasn't that scary! Thanks Joan!

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Boomerang


Norene made this beautiful quilt called Boomerang.


I decided to custom quilt this one.


I triple scalloped the border and did some ruler work in the setting triangles.


As for the blocks, I chose 2 different designs and then alternated them as I moved across each row of the quilt.


Towards the end of the quilt, I was losing some of my creative juices, so there are a few repeats of my favorite designs.


All in all a pretty fun quilt to do!


Thanks Norene!

Monday, May 15, 2017

Twister Hearts and Twister Shimmer


This is an amazing wallhanging made from the Twister ruler.


I quilted an all-over feather on it in a charcoal thread.


the back in black.


Here is the twister heart version. I had quilted one just like it before and was told to quilt it just the same way.  No problem!


A big heart-shaped feather in the heart and filled the white space with curly q's and little hearts.


I SID the narrow red border.



Oh, and she had TWO of each quilt BTW.


Loved having these around for a short while until I they got their turn to be quilted.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

March DGS, Snowmen wallhanging


Our March block for our Haven circle were these Flying squares. Two of them are spinning the opposite way. I had a hard time wrapping my noggin around how to get them to do that for some reason, but I got it!


Paula had me do up this flannel snowman panel.


Curly q's and stars


I just LOVE that little baby snowman! tee hee!

Thanks Paula!

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Iowa Hawkeyes Quilt


Ronda made this huge Iowa Hawkeye quilt.  The batting was actually a wool blanket. (Just barely big enough, but I got it to work!)


I quilted paisleys, swirls, and a section of big pebbles every so often.  I added a few "I's" and stars in there too.


As an Iowa State Alum this was a little painful for me to quilt. (jk) But just look at the definition the wool batting has! Love that!


It was also pretty darn heavy! I weighed the whole quilt out of curiosity. 
(that's a Duplo lego there for scale purposes.)

11 pounds!

It measures 107 by 83 inches, so it's a big one.
Thanks Ronda!


Go Cyclones! ;)

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Cherries and Maritime


Jessica made this adorable Cherry baby quilt.



I quilted an all-over flowery design in the squares and custom quilted the cherries in the center.




She also had this bigger throw sized quilt made with Maritime fabric.


Swirls and a few big water drops on this one.


Thanks for the fun projects Jessica!


Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Floating stars


Carol brought this quilt over for me to quilt up.


These stars were appliqued onto the background. I filled in with giant swirls, giving it a shooting star effect.


Each star was outlined around the edges and then with my curved ruler, did the insides.  In a matching light red/dark coral thread.



Some of the back.



I think it turned out great. Thanks Carol!