Tutorials

Friday, March 2, 2018

Katie's super huge dresden


Katie made this super huge dresden quilt with a crazy improv pieced red heart in the center.


Love how this one looks!


From the orange pieces I quilted feathers and ribbon candy in the strip pieced wedges. 


I had some orange thread that worked perfectly.


I switched to a light brown in the pieced wedges.  In her red print background I just kept it super simple with some swirls since any quilting would be pretty invisible anyway with that busy print.


The big heart was hand embroidered across the piecing, in true crazy quilt fashion.  So I used those sections to quilt a different pattern in each.  Just to make more interest on top of interest on top of interest. :)


And if you thought the top was minimalist, this is her back! Just the opposite! She used lots of leftover blocks and pieced bits from other past projects into this amazing backing.


Fun to look at..

Thanks Katie!

1 comment:

beckip54@gmail.com said...

The front is fun, but the back is amazing! I recognize some of those quilts from the leftover blocks. Only Katie would go to that much work to use up her leftover blocks. Awesome!