Tutorials

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Kelsi's Purple quilt, DGS October block


Kelsi made this fun purple quilt. 



I thought this was a perfect opportunity to use my purple thread. Once in a while those bold color threads come in handy! 


I quilted an all-over swirls, curls, leaves, flowers, and half-feathers. 


Oh. And a butterfly or two.



Thanks Kelsi! 


It is my turn again for orchestrating the quilt for October's doGood Stitches Nurture circle. I chose a tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company called Disappearing Hourglass.  Click the link for the video, but in a nutshell, you take 2-10” squares and make 4 HST’s out of them, sew those into an
hourglass block, then cut that into 9 patches that are rearranged into this neat block. So quick and so much easier than it looks! And zero waste! Love that.

She doesn’t do/mention this in the video, but I squared up the 4 HST’s to 6.5” square before sewing them into the hourglass block. Then you can still follow her measurements when you cut them into 9-patches. I did 2 1/8th from the center seam and it came out perfect. Your completed blocks should measure about 11.5 inches square.


This is the yardage I have for the backing, so I'm having my circle sisters use green, orange, and teal for their blocks. And I figured since the blocks are a smidge less than 12.5 inches and so quick and simple to make, they can do 3 blocks. The bigger the quilt, the better! :) 

Did I mention that I visited MO Star Quilt Co?  We planned a girls trip in September with my family and drove down to Hannibal, MO. We had a great time and will probably go again next year!

No comments: