Tutorials

Monday, September 26, 2011

A couple more quilts and going to AQS Show!

Quilt #33 for the year was this scrappy 16-patch.

Meandering was requested.  No problemo.

This cozy throw is all flannels.  (#34)


I had free reign on this one so I went with the floral theme and did 5-petal flowers and leaves. 

There was a slight problem with this one.  As I got to the last pass I realized that the back was baaaarely long enough, if not a tad short by 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Oof.  What do I do??  Rip it all out and start over easing the top in better?  Stretch the heck out of the back to make it fit?  Trim 1/4 inch off the entire edge of the quilt?  Noo way.  After consulting with my customer we decided to take it off  the machine and luckily she had plenty of purple flannel left to sew a strip on the back.  And it was no problem to put it back on and finish the last pass.  Phew!  It all worked out, but I hope I never let it happen again.  I always do lay out my quilts to make sure the backs and battings are large enough and oriented the right way, but somehow I neglected to notice how close this one was.  Lesson learned. 

**Also**

I know there is a lot of blogging going on about the Sewing Summit coming up, which I will not be attending.  But I WILL be attending the AQS Show in Des Moines later this week!!  Planning on taking a couple longarm classes from Sue Patten, looking at lots of gorgeous quilts, trying out all the new longarm machines, and maybe just a little shopping too.  But not too much shopping.  :) 
Anyone else going??

1 comment:

Megan said...

oh i WANT to.....hmm :)