Tutorials

Monday, December 9, 2013

Maddy's scrappy color blocks baby quilt

 
 
Little Madisen finally got her baby quilt last month.  She's 6 months old now, but better late than never!  But it was the first time I got to see her in person.  She's my cousin's little girl.  She has 2 older brothers, so she needed a bit of girlyness with a quilt!  I went with purple and greens.  And then added just enough pink to make it girly.  But not too girly. 
 
 
 
Now, if you have been following my little blog for a while, you have seen me make similar quilts before.  Maybe a dozen or so!  If you are kinda new around here- this is what I do.  I sort my little scraps into shoe boxes by color and they all live in a dresser drawer in my sewing space.  Every so often (when a box gets full and i can't hardly shut the drawer anymore for instance.  Or when I'm between projects and need something to sew on.)  I will get out a box and start randomly sewing scraps together to make a 10" block.  Then the blocks get thrown in another drawer and wait to be made into a baby quilt.  I did a recent block count--somewhere around 35 blocks!  Umm.  Better start doing something with them!


 
I like to quilt something different in each block.

 
It's hard to fit 5 improv letters into a 10" square. 
Note to self:  Stick with just their initials.  Or even better- just the first letter of their first name. 
 
I could sit there and look at all the different fabrics in there for hours.  I used flannel scraps for the backing.  I saw this Flying Dutchman tutorial from V and Co. and thought I could make HST units out of my blocks and make something similar.  I might try that next time.  I think it's time to change it up a little bit.



1 comment:

knottygnome said...

very nice! i hadn't seen that tutorial you linked. looks like a fun one to try!