Tutorials

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Katie's arrows and machine issues


Katie (aka my sister) made this super cool modern arrow quilt. Solid red and lavender fabric meant lots of fun quilting details. And I added plenty of details to this one.



The red areas I made random straight edged shapes and filled them with swirls.


In the lavender I mimicked the triangles and flying geese designs and filled the background with straight edge quilting.




It was pretty fun making up random designs and placement of shapes, but this was the quilt that I realized that there was something wrong with my Nolting Fun Quilter 20" longarm machine.  I had lots of troubles with this one! The thread kept breaking every few inches when quilting left to right, no matter what I tried to do to fix the issue. Adjusting tension, both top and bottom, changing the needle, I even re-timed it. 


Long story short, after a few phone calls to technical support, I took my machine to Nolting for repairs and now it is good as new!  The bushing was shot along with part of the hook assembly. They also replaced a few other random things- new grips, they replaced my wooden dowel spool holder with a real one, new light bulb, a couple new oil wicks, and a new switch on the left hand side.  It was just time for some upgrades.  I have used it a lot in the 4.5 years since I bought it and it was used even then. So I guess I'm a little proud that I have some wear and tear in my machine. I wonder how many 'miles' are on it!


A couple shots of the back. I used a pink thread throughout the quilt, as well as the bobbin.


Thanks Katie!
(And Nolting!)

2 comments:

Becki Petersen said...

It's beautiful! And glad you got your machine fixed.

Becki Petersen said...

It's beautiful! And glad you got your machine fixed.