Tutorials

Monday, October 17, 2016

Marty's hand pieced vintage quilt


Marty brought me this vintage quilt she purchased second hand. It was all hand pieced. She did add on the blue border all around.



Marty likes to make things interesting for me with her backing and battings. This time she used a textured bedspread as her backing. It had scalloped edges all around it. Her batting was a used flannel-type blanket.


And you know what? It all worked just fine! The only issue was the quilt top had some extra fabric to take up on one side. Not uncommon with a hand pieced quilt. I just quilted a simple swirl on it to help with that.


I love the randomness of some of the fabrics and the imperfections in these shoo-fly blocks.



A peek at the back.


All in all Marty has a lovely treasure with this quilt. It makes me want to find an old vintage quilt top of my own. Thanks Marty!



No comments: