Tutorials

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Becki's Framed Hexagons



Becki finally completed this quilt top she had started 40 years ago!!




She used white sheets and scraps of fabric and started hand sewing them together. At some point all those partial seams got too daunting and life got busy, and in a box is where it went for a looong time.


Until she retired and made a point to get this one done!  This time by machine.


Loading this on the longarm was a bit tricky. I pinned them onto my zipper leaders as best I could, leaving gaps between the blocks. I pinned and stitched the sides down as I quilted along. It actually didn't turn out too bad! It was pretty square to start with so that really helped.


It was fun looking at all the different fabrics from the 60's and 70's. I imagine most were left from various handmade clothing items. Some were cottons, flannel and polyesters.


I quilted a flowery geometric shape in each hexagon, ribbon candy in the prints, and c2c'd the little triangles. I made a little triangle template out of cardboard to help mark the hexagon centers with a water soluble marker.


There really was not much stopping and starting with these designs, but there was much traveling in the ditch to get around to where I needed to quilt next.


I really love how this one turned out!


The back! 
Thanks Becki (aka Mom!). I am happy to report that she already has the binding on and this quilt is DONE and DONE. Finally :)

What is your oldest UFO?  Mine is 9 years old--a row challenge I did and still needs to be quilted! Maybe this will be the year??

No comments: