Tutorials

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Star Value-My Version


Star Value--free tutorial!

So, I have made this quilt pattern a couple of times with my do.Good Stitches groups. I just love it so much! I had to make one of my own. So here it is finally! 


I used black instead of gray for the diamonds. I had a stack of 4-4.5 inch black squares that needed used up. I discovered that they were the perfect size to  make 4 HST units that measured 2.5 inches unfinished. You do that by sewing around the outside edges of your light and dark, and cutting from corner to corner in an X and you get 4 hst units that barely need squaring up.



I made the 16" block size using 2.5 inch squares and units. I made 24 blocks in a 4 by 6 layout and after laying it out in the top photo, decided to make it a bit wider by adding a half block down the length of it. So it is 4.5 blocks wide and 6 blocks long. As much as I wanted to call it good and be done with it, I'm glad I persisted and made it a bit bigger.


As you can see, I used a variety of bright colored scraps and lights. I did end up purchasing a few light colored fat quarters for more variety, but otherwise everything else was from the stash.


Quilting it--I used a cream thread for most of it, filling in the background with random swirls, flowers, curls, leaves, and loops. The 8-pointed stars all got the same geometric design. The diamonds--each row got a different design. 


I changed to black thread for the black diamonds, doing a different design in each row of those as well. We'll be looking at this quilt for a looong time, so I gotta keep it interesting. 


I made a scrappy binding for it, using up leftover binding pieces.


I enjoyed making this bright and cheery quilt, it helped me get through a tough time. "Do what makes you happy" the saying goes, so that for me was making this quilt.







The back! A friend was giving away a ton of old fabric, and I grabbed this blue fuzzy stuff. Yards of it!  How do I explain it, because I don't know what it is called, but it is knit on one side and a bit fuzzy on the other. The 80's version of minky I would say...


Anyways, it makes for a warm and cozy quilt that keeps drafts away! I snuggle under it in my recliner every night and usually doze off before bed. It works! :)


And that is my big quilt finish for this year. Don't think I will get another done in the next month as Christmas is around the corner and customer quilts are waiting, and I have a few little projects to make too. But, I do have a few tops in waiting when the time ever comes.



2 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I love it!! I want to make one, too!!

Down to Sew said...

Do it! Just start by cutting a few squares... ;)