Tutorials

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Blue Mystery Quilt


About a year ago my quilt guild organized a mystery quilt sew-a-long while we were all home in quarantine. Parts of the instructions were emailed out each month, for about 3 or 4 months. This is how mine turned out.


We were to choose a dark, medium and light fabric. I went with scrappy blues, using up bits of my stash. Here I am auditioning my outer border fabric options.


The more true blue won out.


 Some of my darks and medium blues kinda crossed over to each other's sides. But the overall design is there. 


We made 8 blocks each of the two block patterns. The layout is really neat, I probably would have never thought to arrange them this way.


I quilted the borders with feathers and loops.



And more all-over feathers in the center.


It was fun to see all the versions the other guild members made. The use of different colors and fabrics, and even arranging the blocks another way made it look like another pattern altogether.


I ended up donating it to my children's school auction benefit. I work better with an urgent deadline to meet, and got it done just in time for the online auction. I found the perfect iron-on label in a book I recently purchased. I colored it in with crayons and set it with a hot iron.


A look at the backing.


My MIL was happy to be the highest bidder. This was a fun project to do as part of a guild, and then to be able to donate it and see it auctioned off online was pretty neat too. It has inspired me to perhaps donate more quilts to local charity auctions. But I have to be more proactive about starting and finishing it in time! 

1 comment:

beckip54@gmail.com said...

A very pretty quilt! Loved your layout. It was wonderful that you could donate it for a fund raiser.