Tutorials

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Katie's lone star


This Lone Star quilt was made by my sister, Katie.  I love it!


She did needle turn applique on the corner blocks. I kept it pretty simple with the quilting here by doing an echo inside the orange flower, and outlining the inner flower. Since she fussy-cut the centers, I just stitched around the center circle and added a few protruding wiggles around it.


Leaves in the border, and a fancy feather. In the quarter circle, I had a hard time thinking of what to do there, but ended up doing a paisley feather. Angela Walters has the video demonstrating it here.


The center star I saved until last. Because I struggled to come up with a design. But I found this in Sue Patten's book and decided it was one I could do and looked pretty cool.  perfect.


The orange flowery fabric was pretty busy and decided to quilt something simple there because it would be hard to see it anyway. 


The back!

The AQS show was a couple weeks ago already.  I took a class with THE Angela Walters and it was pretty fun.  She covered a lot of stuff from her new book 'Shape by Shape' which i bought and had her sign it.  I didn't get to spend a ton of time at the show like i usually do. I had my 3 month old along and so between feeding her, myself, and my quilting class, there was barely enough time to spend all my money! But I did just in time though ;) I finally bought a ruler base and foot for my machine! I've been wanting one for a while, but finally bit the bullet this year. I have yet to actually try it out, but someday I will. I might have to stay up super late to be able to try it without being interrupted by some little one needing fed, help with the potty, help hooking up a wagon to a toy tractor, or some other random thing. But I'll get there!


1 comment:

Jean said...

Beautiful quilting! It really accents the quilt well! I missed the DM show this year...still feeling left out!