Tutorials

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Christmas cards, quills & arrows


So, I started sewing selvages onto 6.5 inch squares a year or so ago.  I just thought that some of the selvage projects I'd been seeing were pretty neat and thought I'd start saving some of my selvages for a small project. Well, my Mom caught wind of this and has since started saving her selvages. She gives me a small sack of them about every time I see her! And now she even has a couple of her friends giving me their selvages too! Ack! So my little pile of squares grew and grew as I tried to keep up, and my idea of a small project has turned into an overflowing drawer of selvages and enough squares for a throw quilt! So, I came up with a little solution to use some of them up. I made little mitten ornaments.


I put them on my Christmas cards that I sent to my 2014 quilting clients. I got lots of nice compliments on them.  I also sent one to each member of my Haven do. Good stitches circle. They were so fun and easy to make, I already have plans for next year.  I got the idea for these from a flickr fave.


Here is my Do.Good Stitches Haven circle quilt for October.  I had purchased a few yards of this bold zig-zag fabric on clearance and decided to find an arrow block for it.  After some searching I found this block called Quills and Arrows.


Each block is paper pieced and each member made 10 blocks. There was a slight snafu with the sizing of the blocks-- about half of them were 1/4 inch smaller than the rest. The scale box on the pattern was only verrry slightly noticeably smaller if you didn't size it right.  So I had to trim some of them down.  You may notice some arrows are a bit bigger than others, but only if you look close. Luckily because of the layout of the blocks, it really doesn't matter if they are the same size or not--the arrows aren't lined up at all.


I swear I put the blocks together randomly!

No comments: