Tutorials

Monday, August 26, 2019

ISU I-Beams


Mary Jo made this I-Beam quilt to gift to a very lucky Iowa State fan. She requested quilting in some words in the quilt...


...And being an ISU alumni myself, I consider myself an expert on certain ISU lingo. So I had lots of fun thinking of words and phrases to include. I used a bright red thread throughout the quilt, top and bobbin.  Here is "Sweet Caroline" baa-baa-baaaaaaaa!


"Beat Iowa"--our in-state rivals


"Jack Trice" with a football.  (the name of our football stadium)


"loyal sons forever true"--a line from the fight song.


"first down"


"Cardinal and Gold"-- our school colors


"every yard for ISU'--another fight song line.


The back shows better, so I reversed the images to read them easier. Here we have "Hilton Magic" which refers to the Basketball stadium and the great home court winning record advantage we have. And "Hey Go State!" is just a popular cheer, usually involving the marching or pep band.


"Cy" the mascot, and "loyal sons forever true" again.

Yep. Had a lot of fun with this one and reminiscing on those fun college days. Your ISU quilt was definitely in the right hands Mary Jo!