Tutorials

Friday, September 20, 2019

Katie's Applique, do Good Stitches August block



This was last months do Good Stitches block. A single 9-patch block using 6.5 inch squares, and adding an offset narrow white strip after cross cutting it apart. 

It is my turn to be the quilter again for October, so I need to decide what in the world to make. Soon!


Katie made this amazing applique quilt. She is going to enter it into the Des Moines Quilt Guild quilt show that is going on the weekend of Sept. 28th, so the pressure was on to make the quilting show-worthy!



I started out by outlining the applique and filling in the background with lots of swirls, feathers, flowers, leaves, and bubbles. I quilted a medallion in the very center of the quilt. 


Outlining was mostly freehanded, with the exception of the orange peel centers where I used a curved ruler that was just the right size. 


I changed to a blue thread and quilted the two borders as well as the blue medallion parts. 



For the narrow blue border I came up with a new design of two feathers and a double circle. I really love how it turned out!





A peek at the back. I hope it does well at the show Katie! Good luck!

No comments: