Tutorials

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Katie's Sunset Star

 
My sister made this!  This is the Sunset Star pattern from Edyta Sitar's book Scrappy Firework Quilts.  Yep, she's a fan of hers.

 
I used a gray thread throughout the quilt.  In the blocks I did a spiraling flower design, but stayed out of the red center.  I didn't like how the gray thread contrasted and distracted the eye. 

 
A funky feather for the border and a row of pebbles for the sashing.

 
And I quilted this super cute baby quilt of hers on the same back and batting since there was room for it.  She used some cute farm prints for her QSTs.

 
Nothing too exciting quilting-wise.  Just corner to corners. 

 
But look at this quilt one last time!  Isn't it neat?!  I love how the solids are all different shades and tints and not all the exact same color.  It keeps your eyes dancing!  I believe she used a jellyroll of solids for it.
 
Also, I have some sad news to share.  No, noone died.  Just my favorite quilting thread- Essential Pro from Connecting Threads is no longer :(  I inquired about not being able to find white and silver on the website-pretty popular colors- and they replied with the news that they are no longer making Essential Pro and white and silver are gone.  Forever!  So I stocked up on some colors while they still have them.  And meanwhile I'll be shopping around for a new go-to longarm quilting thread.  So if you have any recommendations, please, let me know! 


No comments: