Tutorials

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Double the Knit, double the fun!

 
 
My MIL had this quilt top that her mother had made loong ago out of my MIL's double knit maternity clothes from the 70's and early 80's.  Yeah, it's been around for a while :)  She was missing a few squares though, but luckily someone still had a grocery sack of double knit for her to use. 
 
 
 
She did a top stitch 1/4 inch around the edge of the quilt top, which really helped out with keeping it square as I quilted it.  This went from- just quilt it and see if it turns out- to being one of her favorite quilts!  And let me tell you, the definition you get with double knit is awesome! 

 
I used Hobbs 80/20 batting and she had a regular quilting cotton for the backing.  (which she also used for the binding too.)  I did try to avoid the corner seams, but only because my foot wasn't always high enough to clear it and would stretch and pull it around.  But the needle went right on through it all no problem.  No broken needles at all.  In fact I'm pretty sure I didn't even put in a new needle for this quilt.  I know lots of people will shake their fingers at me, but I hardly ever change my needle.  Only if it breaks or gets a bur on it.  Or if I'm having some major tension issues.  Which happens rarely.  But if it's not broken and working just fine, why fix it?
 
There's nothing my Nolting Fun Quilter can't do! 
(so far.  I probably just jinxed myself!)


No comments: