Tutorials

Friday, May 16, 2014

Scrappy Baby Quilt- a new variation


I made this baby quilt for a cousin who is expecting a baby girl.  This time I was really on the ball and gifted it before the little one arrived!  Weird huh?  So no names or initials were incorporated into this one.  I wanted to try something different than my normal scrappy baby quilt go-to.  (like this one, or this one, these two, or even this one for example.)  I was inspired by Vanessa Christensen's Ombre Dutchman quilt.  So I made my 10 inch improv-pieced blocks into large HST units and squared them up to 9.5 inches.  Then I laid them out into a flying geese block.  I really like how it turned out!


I don't know if you can tell this in the pictures, but I used a bright pink thread throughout the quilt.  Using a contrasting thread is pretty uncommon for me, but thought this would be a good candidate to try it out on.  Might as well keep going with the trying something different theme.


I quilted swirls in the white and a different design in each colored geese blocks. 


Yep, I'll definitely be doing this method again.  Because sometimes sashings are a drag to make.  It will be fun to try out different HST blocks.


The back I admit is pretty ugly!  I had some random strips I wanted to use up since most of them don't really go with the rest of my stash.  So the back is pretty...uh...interesting :)  

No comments: