Tutorials

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Sweetie Pie



This is Joan's version of Sweetie Pie, a free pattern by Lee Holt of Bee in my Bonnet. Oh my goodness I just love this quilt! So there's lots of pictures...



After some online research for inspiration, (There was a sew-a-long so there were lots of pictures shared on Instagram.) here's what I ended up doing. A large fun and leafy feather in the cherry print border, with some little flowers here and there. The white border got some ribbon candy. The red scallops got special curved ruler treatment and red thread. 



The dresdens got some curved ruler work as well. I free motion outlined the fruits and backfilled with lots of swirls.


The backfill was fun to do as well with lots of curls, swirls, leaves and even some little cherries and berries in the mix as well. 



The flowers were appliqued onto a circle which was then appliqued onto the quilt. Someone else had quilted theirs this way and I really like how it gave the petals dimension. 


So much work went into all of the piecing, applique and embroidery for this quilt. It really deserved special treatment for sure.





The back.




Thanks so much Joan! This was my favorite quilt by far this year! It might be hard to top it. This was one I definitely hated to give back. 

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Love this quilt and as always you did a fantastic jog of quilting!