Tutorials

Saturday, June 26, 2021

Homemade Gifts- Barbie dresses, 2-sided zipper pouches


My niece had a Barbie car on her Christmas wish list, so I went ahead and made her a few dresses for Barbie's wardrobe. 



It's fun to mix and match fabric scraps and ribbons and lace to come up with new designs.


I hope the state of our model will make you chuckle. She's had some run-ins with paint, nail polish, ink pen, sharpies... It pains me some that my daughter does this to her dolls, but most of them are second hand anyways, so after trying a few times not-so-successfully to make them like new again, I have learned to just "let it go". They are hers to do with as she pleases, and we really aren't out anything anyways since they were second-hand or gifted as new. I think she has outgrown that phase now though. 


This country-girl dress was my favorite.


These next few are made with upcycled clothing from my daughter. These outfits are the quickest to make and because they are stretchy, they are easy for little girls to dress their dolls with. This little black stretchy number was from a pair of bicycle-type shorts.


A knit neon orange tank top with ruffles became a few dresses too. The purple one is made from the top of a sock, the other is a super simple dress that I added a bit of lace trim to the bottom.

I have a few more posts about my Barbie doll clothes adventures that contain links to patterns. You can find them here, here, and here.


Ok, now onto a few teacher gifts. I like to make something for our hard working teachers, and often make a few more for others on my Christmas list. I found this 2 sided zipper pouch tutorial and liked how the zipper went down two sides. 


It opens up really nice and wide! We stuffed some homemade cookies and hot cocoa mix inside.


I love the little pocket detail surprise inside.


The fabric line used on these pouches is Jot from Connecting Threads. It seemed very teacher appropriate!

 

No comments: