Tutorials

Friday, April 19, 2019

Repurposed Barbie clothes, Halter dress and Ball Gown



These two Barbies are modeling their Christmas dresses. These were made with an old pair of girls leggings and some glittery wired ribbon. I got a little creative with the ribbon and made one a one-shoulder strap. I should note that I melted all my ribbon edges with a lighter so that they will not fray and unravel. 


Old baby socks make super easy clothes! I'm sure you might have some missing mates in a drawer somewhere, and this is the perfect place to use them. Just cut the bottom off and you have a tube top. Cut a couple little holes in the sides for the arms and you have a tank top or little cap sleeves. Add a little gathered ruffle to the bottom and you have a dress. And since they are so stretchy, they will fit anybody types- curvy and "regular". You can learn all about the specifics on the different body types and mold versions with a bit of research. Janel has a little bit here as well as ChellyWood.com. 



Elsa is dressed up so fancy in her ball gown. This was a pattern I used from Julia's Ball Gown tutorial. I used a piece of shimmery home dec fabric from the remnant bin at Joann's. It was a bit of a pain to work with. I zig-zagged the edges of all the pattern pieces and the fabric unraveled so easily, by the time I had edged all the pieces, they were a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch smaller than they had started! So by the end of it all, the dress fits Elsa's tiny body and that's about it! lol. 


Janel's halter dress pattern is just great. These two halter dresses turned out super cute too! The Halloween dress turned out a bit small in the back, so I added a 1/2 inch to the two side pieces of the skirt in the hot pink version. We don't need to see your bum Miss sharpie face! There are a few other patterns from Janel that would be fun to try too. 


But it works just perfect for Princess Anna. She is a pretty petite sized doll, along with her sister Elsa. Pink dolphin is so silly with his work boots on! I attempted to create some sort of top out of a leftover sock bottom. It's a bit goofy fitting for a doll, but ok for dolphins. :)



My daughter had these leggings that were her favorite. "Kitty pants" were worn out to the max! So they became new again as a barbie dress. But please turn your garment inside out before fitting to your doll, not right side out like I have pictured. It's much easier that way! But it really is just as simple as pinning down the back to fit and stitching alongside your pins to the length you want. Then trim the excess away and you have a simple little dress. I added a broken hair tie for the halter strap and some matching ribbon to the bottom. I really enjoyed re-purposing all the little bits of ribbons and bows, pretty stretchy elastics, and fun fabric prints, and fancy textured fabric scraps.

I hope you are enjoying these posts on making Barbie clothes, because there is one more!




No comments: