Tutorials

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Barbie Clothes-Tops, skirts, pants

Well hello there ladies! Here is something a bit different for you quilters. I got bit by the Barbie clothes bug this winter. Pretty bad I must say! It all started when I made several items for my  4yo daughter for Christmas. 


And then again when at a family Christmas, my cousin told us all about the mega Barbie playing sessions her 3 girls were doing together over the break. And since this cousin has given my daughter all their hand-me-down clothes to wear since she was a baby, (I haven't had to purchase any clothes for her, ever!) I decided to keep on with the Barbie clothes making and make a closet full of clothes for them. I felt I had barely scratched the surface with the patterns and bits of fabric and things I wanted to use anyways. One of her daughter's birthday is towards the end of February, so that gave me plenty of time as well as a deadline for designing and creating! Because without a deadline, I would probably never stop! lol They are too cute!


So, the next couple posts are all about the Barbie clothes I made. There are lots of free tutorials and patterns, and videos out there, but I wanted simple ones that were easy to make.  My favorite tutorials by far were by Craftiness is not Optional. Scroll halfway down the link for the Barbie tutorials. These tops and skirts are from her Cap sleeve shirt and Easy Barbie skirt tutes. 


The velcro I had available near me had adhesive on the back. And after a couple wears, it peeled right off the shirt. And to sew it on gummed up my needle and was a messy disaster. So, what I found worked out well was to apply it on with Krazy glue. Yes, it soaks through the fabric and as you can see looks darker there, but it works really well! And it was so much quicker than sewing it on. Even if I had velcro that wasn't sticky on the back, this way was much easier.


As you can see, I had fun using different little ribbons and bows and rik-rak. Lots of these ribbons I had saved from old gift bag handles. 


The halter top straps I made from an old elastic headband. (Those things never stay on my head anyways!) Or I had some leftover pretty elastic straps from my baby headband making days. Some tops I made fitted with darts, some I left a looser fit. I wanted them to be interchangeable with dolls of different sizes and shapes. 


So this was the tops and skirts post. And pants. These lovely ladies are sporting pants made from old socks, and the red pair is from Gretta's worn out leggings. I basically used this method, but I spread the legs farther apart so there was no seam down the side, and the excess fabric bunched in the middle-between the legs where it gets cut off anyway. But I did make a short seam down the back of the butt, after marking with a pin. Because Barbie has a tiny waist, but wide hips. 

Stay tuned for more adorable Barbie clothes, my favorite ---Dresses!

No comments: