Tutorials

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Barbie Dresses


My daughter was really into Halloween this past year. So I had to make a fun Halloween dress and a witch hat! The hat I made up myself using a bit of black wool. The dress pattern that I used quite a few times was from Craftiness is not Optional. It was so simple and versatile! 


Here's another version in red satin. My red scrap was only a couple inches wide, so I added a strip of shimmery wired ribbon to the bottom. So fancy! And next to her is another skirt/top combo. See the previous post for more of those.


(Gretta likes to color their faces with inkpen or sharpie marker. I've tried to get it off with various methods, but clearly it only goes so far. sigh. So, it's going to be only second hand Barbies for this girl for a while...)

The orange flowered dress was another favorite that turned out so cute! The scale of the print was perfect. Pink fuzzy mermaid was another easy one to sew up. I used Sew Spoiled's free tutorial.  I didn't even bother to hem the top since it won't fray anyway. I have made a few more of these with swimsuit fabric too. But why not a fuzzy mermaid out of a scrap of minky too?? There can be Arctic mermaids, right? 


And this blue dress might be my favorite. I had to make two of just about everything, because one was going to be a gift, so we needed another to keep. We kept the one that I used black thread to top stitch. What was I thinking? The white thread version-the better option- was the more gift-worthy one. The fuzzy, sparkly red bows actually fell off of a pair of my daughter's Hello Kitty socks. They worked perfectly for this dress! 

One more Barbie clothes post coming next- which includes clothes made from baby socks, and more dresses.

1 comment:

cityquilter grace said...

my daughter cut ALL her barbies' hair so they all have buzz cuts and look like mean biker chicks...LOL....such cute outfits!